Contact Me

smalltowninsanity@gmail.com

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Before They Pass Away

 Himba- Namibia


Kazakh- Mongolia







































Huli- Indonisia & Papau New Guinea




 Goroka- Indonesia & Papau New Guinea






I literally was so overwhelmed with beauty that I couldn't help but to get emotional while viewing these pictures. Jimmy Nelson spent two weeks totally immersed with each tribe, 33 of them, to give us a unique understanding of each tribes culture, traditions, beliefs, and way of life.

 I don't know what you'll take from all this raw beauty and purity but what I got out of it was how sad it is that we have all become so disconnected from one another. Maybe I am slowly losing it because I haven't been further than  up my road in days and am looking way too far into this, but it got me thinking.  No, I am not  suggesting to become a bunch of savages but I am game to become better connected to my "tribe", my people. Evolution is natural, it's important, but I hate where evolution is taking us. I find I am spending waaaaayyy to much time on my phone playing candy crush (extremely addicted),checking blogs, instagram, facebook, twitter, Pinterest that I have basically become a social media whore. I feel that these things make me feel better connected to people but are they? As my baby plays around me I am "imessaging or bbming" my friends. As my mother is trying to tell me a story I am pinning my dream home. I mean we are all guilty of this but sometimes I find it to be way to excessive and then I end up feeling a terrible amount of guilt. I definitely won't be giving up any of these addictions any time soon but I need to stop checking my phone when in the company of others. Everyone has their vices and needs, something to help them relax or check out so to speak, but this is getting crazy already. I am lucky enough to be able to stay home with my babe that I should be enjoying every waking moment with her teaching, exploring, playing and I do but I always have my phone in reach. I honestly am terrified for Willows future, our children's future. I am going to say this again, she spends way more time in nature than the average toddler and for that I am very grateful. But when we are at home I am spending way too much time on my stupid phone.  I mean, I catch myself daily and then I quickly hide it from myself, but seriously, how sad. What could be more important than my babe? What is going to become of these children when all they see is peoples faces pressed up to a screen? Are our children going to grow up and be socially inept?



Ok I need to cut this off somewhere because my babe has been napping for quite sometime and I do not want to become a total hypocrite. :p  I hope you enjoyed these photo's as much as I did and got a little something, something out of them.

I got all of these images from Jimmy Nelson's website Before They Pass Away. When you have a moment please do yourself a favor and check it out! The photos I have posted is just a little taste of what you will see. If you feel like watching some great videos please watch these that feature Jimmy Nelsons journey. I may have a new idol ;)




The preview at the beginning of this following video is a little cheesy but keep watching

1 comment:

  1. this post is so beautiful and so so true. i worry about these same things constantly, and i don't even have a smart phone or a cell phone, but i do have an ipod touch. and everyone around me gives lucy their phones to scroll through or look at pictures, it is crazy how she can manage the touch screen in some ways, what?!! i fear the future too, even though i know my children will spend tons of times outdoors, what will the schools be like, the other kids? the interactions? you are a great role model because you are thinking about it, catching yourself, i think that is the most important thing...to not be unaware and blind to the problems of our age. i love what you said about tribes too, something i remind myself as often as possible. can't wait to check out more of his work, what inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Yessss, I love comments! Thank You xo