Contact Me

smalltowninsanity@gmail.com

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Boob, Boobs, Boobies, Breasts


All day and night I am staring down at my boobs and my sweet babes head.  Poor J doesn't even look twice when I have my boobs out anymore because I honestly have my shirt off for more than half the day. He calls me boobasauraus and Willow the boobmonster. When you are breastfeeding you never truly get a "break". If you decide to pump and use a bottle for a feeding you still need to pump the milk that's desperately trying to work it's way out of your boob. When my breasts are really full, any kind of sound Willow makes they instantly start pouring milk.I feel like a cow most days, I am constantly being milked. I feel guilty at some feeds when I just don't feel like doing it. Some days she won't leave my poor nips alone, she wants to nurse alll daaaayyy lonnggg. I am pretty sure those have been growth spurts though and thankfully this doesn't happen daily.

I chose to breastfeed my babe because all you ever here is "breast is best". I know my baby is getting exactly what she needs and my milk is always warm, no preparation needed. Also, the cost of formula is ridic! I have nothing against moms who decide to formula feed. I don't understand why breastfeeding/formula feeding is so controversial? In my opinion there is no wrong choice, you choose what's right for you and your baby and that's nobody elses business. Any who, that being said, Willow HATES my nipples :(. I grew these huge boobs and nips but I wasn't able to grow nips long enough for her to love. So Willow and I use the next best thing. It's called a nipple shield, a total breastfeed savior. You just place it over your nipple and it's easier for Willow to latch on to because it goes back further into her mouth.(It gives you the bionic boob look) She is not the best at latching and gives up pretty easily without it. They say it's not the greatest tool to use as the baby doesn't get enough milk because there is no nipple stimulation from the baby. I don't think we have this problem because when Willow was born she weighed 6lbs 13.5ozs, her lowest weight was 6lbs 4ozs and when I started using the nipple shield the next week she was a whopping 7lbs 6ozs. So I know she is getting more then enough milk. I am trying to slowly ween her away from the shield but it's just not happening. Her face goes beat red and she gets so frustrated and starts crying. We just can't go anywhere without that darn shield, otherwise Willow won't eat. Ah well, whatever works.

It's funny how breastfeeding can be so hard, you would think it's the most natural thing in the world. For some (like me) it takes a lot of time and patience to get the hang of it. I do love that my body can provide for her everything that she needs. It's pretty amazing! Hopefully she will learn to appreciate my nips soon :p

3 comments:

  1. Amen sista! I don't even bother with a nursing bra if I'm home...just the same ol milk stained tank will do. We used the nip shield for the first couple weeks too, and I weaned Rylan off by removing it in the middle of a feeding. She'd get so pissy that I had interrupted her, she forgot that it wasn't on in the first place! The suction was just enough to bring my nips out a bit longer for her too--combined with the fact that my breasts would be half full, it was easier for her to latch. Now she doesn't even need it! And is it just me, or is there a distinctive "smell" to breast milk? Ugh, it just grosses me out sometimes! Between feeding and pumping every other feeding, I'm knee deep in this shizz haha! Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breastfeeding can be hard! But it's so worth it, so I guess that's why we keep on truckin'! Truth be told, it's possible that I'm holding off on starting solids because I can't imagine adding one more thing involving feeding into our day! Ha ;)

    Willow is a doll baby! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, i can soooo relate to a lot of this! lately all lucy wants to do is eat, eat, eat allllll day long (and sometimes night too!) my nipples are so sore. does the nipple shield help protect your nipples so they don't get too sore? also, like you, most everyone i know is now very accustomed to seeing my bare breasts. it is so hot i just wear sundresses and pull down the straps to feed her, so everyone gets to see the whole thing. i've never had very big boobs so this is crazy for me, these big old bonkers just hanging out for the world to see and yet they don't really seem "sexy" at all!

    the one thing that doesn't happen to me is i don't leak much milk. i get a lot in, and sometimes if she doesn't eat for a couple hours it will start to leak but usually i guess she doesn't even give them a chance.

    breastfeeding sure is a wild ride. i feel like it changes every day. in many ways it has been more difficult for me to get used to than being pregnant! including finding good clothes to wear (i might do a post on that). i do love it so much though, and am so grateful to be able to feed my baby so simply.

    sounds like our baby's sizes were/are pretty similar too. mine was up to 7 lb 12.5 oz at her two week appt. and yet she still seems so tiny to me!

    ReplyDelete

Yessss, I love comments! Thank You xo